URBAN WOOD NETWORK
Membership Agreement 2021
This document serves as agreement to the Roles, Responsibilities and Benefits for Membership in Urban Wood Network
MEMBERSHIP AND ORGANIZATIONAL CONSIDERATIONS
IN ADDITION TO ACCEPTING THE ROLES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND BENEFITS DESCRIBED HEREIN, UWN MEMBERS AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING:
- This Agreement serves as an outline of roles, responsibilities and benefits through December 31, 2021.
- The Urban Wood Network (UWN) is a network of independent businesses, organizations, municipalities and advocates who utilize urban wood to its maximum potential.
- UWN promotes the social, environmental and economic values of urban wood.
- UWN drives utilization of urban forest resources in the creation of the highest value forest products to maximize the value of trees removed due to pests, disease or circumstance.
- UWN builds awareness of the urban wood market by bringing together urban wood efforts, providing leadership and assistance, and by facilitating information sharing.
- UWN seeks to build a common understanding, language, commitment, and brand for the urban wood marketplace.
- Urban wood is often described as the wood that comes from the trees where we live and work, and may come from areas traditionally thought of as rural communities. UWN defines urban wood as “any wood that was not harvested for its timber value and was diverted or removed from the waste-stream and developed or redeveloped into a product. Urban wood can come from 3 sources: Deconstruction, Fresh cut urban trees, and Salvaged trees.” In addition, urban wood is often local wood, that wood whose final purpose is not significantly distanced from where it was grown. Any question about qualifying wood sources should be brought to UWN. Please note: The member business may also continue to work with traditionally logged timber; however, these products must be kept separate from urban products and do not carry the UWN logo.
- Annual membership is for January 1st through December 31st. Membership fees are determined by the UWN Steering Committee and are due by March 15th. Membership fees will be revisited annually to ensure that they cover ongoing costs while remaining affordable for all members.
- The success of UWN rests on the professionalism and product quality of all of its members. The work of any one member reflects on all UWN members. The UWN reserves the right to remove a member from UWN should an issue of professionalism or product quality arise. The removal of a member must be approved by a unanimous vote of the UWN Steering Committee and will be done only as a last resort if other interventions are not successful.
- Urban Wood Network is an equal opportunity organization.
Key Tenets to the Urban Wood Network Membership
- Urban trees have their highest value while living. When these trees need to be removed, they should be put to their highest and best uses to maximize their economic, environmental, and societal benefits for people in urban areas and beyond.
- Sustainable recovery and the highest and best use of urban forest products are essential components of sustainable urban forestry.
- Increased end user demand for urban forest products is essential to increasing demand all along the wood use chain and producing benefits throughout the urban forest sector.
- The Urban Wood Network will effectively achieve its mission through collaboration and information sharing.
- The Urban Wood Network is committed to work in partnership with the full diversity of stakeholders that share our vision and mission.
- Facilitation of UWN organization
- Network support
- Membership development
- Financial management
- Coordination with other Urban Forestry entities
- Meeting planning and participation
- Record keeping
- Public relations
- Website management
- Communications and media development
* These responsibilities will align with the USRW Standards for Certification and Chain of Custody for Urban, Salvaged and Reclaimed Woods to be published in 2021.